Humidity levels in the basement can be very high in the absence of a dehumidifier to regulate them. Mold, dampness, musty smell, and water stains become a commonality in such a basement. So, it’s strongly recommended to install a dehumidifier in your basement to avoid such a mess.
If you plan on buying a dehumidifier for your basement or already have got one, you’re probably wondering, “where in the basement should I place a dehumidifier?”. Let’s answer your question below to help you decide the perfect placement of a dehumidifier in your basement.
Placement of a dehumidifier in your basement
Basements, in general, have a much higher moisture content than any other space in a house. The reason is its direct contact with the foundation of soil, water leakages, and contact with the outer environment. It makes the use of a dehumidifier crucial.
Although placing a dehumidifier anywhere won’t stop it from working, but the correct placement of a dehumidifier in your basement will make a remarkable difference to its efficiency.
For maximum outcome, you need to know the following things to decide the placement of a dehumidifier in your basement:
- If you have a dehumidifier that has a top-mounted air discharge, then placing it against a wall won’t be problematic.
- In the case of a dehumidifier without a top-mounted air discharge, you should not place it against a wall. Instead, you’ll need to place in a way that it has a space of 6-12 inches around it for air circulation.
- Ideally, you should place the dehumidifier as close to the center of the basement as possible for maximum airflow.
- If you have a small space and are using a portable dehumidifier, placing it on the floor in the middle would be an excellent choice.
- Make sure to empty the drip pan of your dehumidifier regularly, if it doesn’t come with an automatic pump.
If your dehumidifier has hose attached to it for the drain, make sure it’s draining directly into the sink or tub.
Placing the dehumidifier correctly for maximum efficiency is just as important as choosing the right type of dehumidifier. Sufficient airflow will help the dehumidifier to attain outcome to its maximum capability and will also give you value for the use of energy.